Wednesday, April 16, 2008

First Excitement and Then Panic Sets In........

When I sat down at the computer this afternoon, I was just going to check my email. Nothing to blog about or so I thought. I opened my email and there were about 60 emails from people I don't know - only three had responded from my blog and the rest - how in the world did you get my private email address? It did not take me long to realize that I had many, many new blog readers and that was not a great thing. After the first blog, I was frantically going on to the Christian Chronicle website. It seems that a Google search brought the Chronicles online editor to my blog and I was quoted in the headline story.

I am still feeling a little nauseous and light headed, even after being assured that the online editor would remove the quote (she was very nice, but assured me that they could quote me without my permission. Could my legal representative respond...Chris?) Anyway, I am still shaking from anger, embarrassment, and humiliation. Thank goodness I had not posted naked pictures huh?

I have read most of the comments and I'm sure that you are reading the ones that were posted here, and let me assure everyone, I do understand what is going on at ACU. To reply to one person who suggested that, "maybe you should take a tour of the campus," I spent four years there. I am an alumni. I know a lot about ACU.

Almost everybody disagreed with me. Everybody seems to think that it is okay for ACU to change the standards and in my opinion, lower them, and why? To help the students and better educate them? No, you can educate people about alcohol abuse without lowering the standards of the University.

I am going to indirectly quote my preacher whom I think will be okay with that. This past weekend, he had an outstanding sermon about "Fast Food Religion". Just like Burger King, everybody wants to "have it their way." Some churches are catering to those people and we are weakening the church by allowing everyone to do what they want because it feels good. This sermon is exactly what ACU is doing. They are weakening the church and their stance by letting everyone, "Have it their way".

I believe that ACU is wrong for doing what they have done and for many other standards that have gone by the way side. I am sad, I am really sad, that ACU allows influences of the world to rewrite their policies.

2 comments:

J-Wild said...

I can almost see the scene as it is dawning on you as to why all of a sudden all these people want to write you. I hope that people were polite.

I have read several of your posts and you seem like a very intelligent and well rounded person. If someone assumes the total of who you are by your "Christian Chronicle" post, don't pay them any mind.

I do find it interesting that people write you privately instead of posting on your blog. Kind of cheap if you ask me. If you were willing to put it out there and people feel compelled to comment, they should put their comments out there too.

Anyway even though I disagree with your sense of impending doom at ACU because they are allowing 21 year olds to drink on their own time I don't think you are close minded or 'uninformed'.

Besides I like some of your comments on politics and so I plan on continuing to check in to see what you have to say about the world.

Neal Coates said...

Kim:

Thank you for your blog article about ACU.

Neal Coates
Abilene, Texas