Saturday, July 5, 2008

Does America Get a Pinata?

When you are three and live in South Texas, no birthday party is complete without a pinata, so it should have been no surprise when my three year old asked when we got to hit America's pinata yesterday. After explaining that America was not going to have a pinata, but she would have fireworks and sparklers, which seemed to satisfy the toddler curiosity, I tried to explain the birth of a country. I tried to talk about freedom and rights, but it remains to be seen just how much of it make an impact.

I took a few moments yesterday under the beauty of a small town fireworks show to reflect on America and I said a prayer of thanks for the many who made our country what it is. I am so thankful for those men and women who were braver, smarter, and more optimistic than myself who put everything on the line to create a country where people were allowed to say what they wanted to and believe what they wanted to. I am thankful for the men and women who have continued that fight through depressions, wars, and times of segregation so that we could continue to have a wonderful country where we are free to think as we choose.

I pray that God continues to bless America and I pray that Americans remember to thank God for those blessings.

No comments: